Plants form the backbone of the earth’s ecosystem. They provide a large amount of oxygen to the entire living world and absorb the harmful carbon dioxide gas, thereby, maintaining the earth’s temperature. The plants prepare food by the photosynthesis process and release oxygen that is inhaled by all life forms.
There are several interesting facts about green plants unknown to us. Let us have a look at a few of these.
- There are over 300,000 plant species identified till date.
- The first ever painkiller was obtained from the bark of a willow tree.
- Majority of plant life is found in oceans.
- There is a natural chemical present in bananas that makes people feel happy.
- The country Brazil was named after a tree.
- Apple contains 25% air and, hence, can float on water.
- A tree’s age can be calculated by its rings. This is known as dendrochronology.
- Caffeine acts as a pesticide in coffee plants.
- Apples, onions and potatoes have the same taste. You can observe it if you eat them with your nose closed.
- The sulphuric acid present in onion causes tears during cutting an onion.
- Half the world’s oxygen is supplied by the amazon forests.
- The potato peel has a lot of vitamins. Therefore, it is advised to cook the potatoes along with their skin.
- Cabbage contains 91% water.
- Onions also act as a sedative and eating a lot of onions makes you feel sleepy.
- The original colour of carrots is purple.
- The vanilla flavouring is obtained from the pod of an orchid.
- The oak trees are struck by lightning more than any other tree.
These were some of the interesting facts about green plants. To know more about any Biology related topics such as vitamins and minerals, carbohydrates function, nitrogen cycle, nutrients, etc., keep visiting BYJU’S app. You can also find interesting video lessons on the BYJU’S youtube channel and the BYJU’S app.