Who doesn’t want a beautiful and sparkling smile? An aesthetically pleasing smile can enhance the overall appearance, boosting your confidence. But not everyone is naturally blessed with it. But fret not! Teeth whitening procedures can help you achieve that radiant smile you have been desiring.
Fishers, IN teeth whitening procedures offered by skilled dental specialists help eliminate stubborn tooth stains that normal scaling cannot.
What is teeth whitening?
Teeth whitening is defined as a dental procedure that aims to eliminate stains from your tooth surface. Most often, your teeth may be stained or discolored for a number of reasons. Dental cleaning and scaling fail to eliminate stubborn stains that require more extensive treatments.
The teeth whitening procedure uses an active bleaching agent (hydrogen peroxide) that helps remove the stains, resulting in teeth that are eight shades brighter.
There are two types of teeth whitening systems, namely:
- At-home system
- This procedure is carried out at home.
- It involves using custom-made trays that fit snugly to your teeth.
- A bleaching agent is applied to the trays and worn for the recommended time or overnight.
- In-office system
- This procedure is performed by the dentist at the clinic.
- Customized trays are filled with the bleaching gel, and it is cured through a laser or LED light for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- The process is repeated until the desired shade is achieved.
Of the two systems, the in-office system is the most effective since it is performed under the guidance of a skilled dentist using a high concentration of bleaching agent.
Why are my teeth stained or discolored?
There could be several reasons that can result in tooth discoloration, such as:
- Aging which can expose the dark dentin underneath due to the wearing away of the enamel layer
- Increased exposure to fluoride (fluorosis)
- Root canal therapy
- Certain foods like cherries and berries
- Certain drinks like tea, coffee, or red wine
- Medications like tetracyclines, anti-histamines, or hypertensive drugs
How can I maintain the results of the teeth whitening procedure?
It is essential you follow the below-given instructions to prolong the results of teeth whitening:
- Brush and floss your teeth regularly
- Avoid smoking
- Minimize caffeine and carbonated drinks
- Reduce your intake of foods like red sauce, red wine, or berries
- Visit your dentist at least once in 6 months for professional cleaning
Teeth whitening is a type of aesthetic treatment to create a brighter smile. Some can be done at home through teeth whitening kits, while others can be done at your dentist’s clinic.
It enhances your overall appearance and boosts your confidence in today’s image-conscious society.